UA System Chancellor Finis St. John created a UA System Health and Safety Task Force to provide overarching principles to guide the campuses in their planning processes. The task force and its multiple working groups are coordinating their efforts, tapping into world-class expertise on our campus and within the System, including UAB Medicine, as well as guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Alabama Department of Public Health. Our campus protocols will rest on principles set out by the UA System Task Force, CDC, and ADPH:
Principal to accomplishing its mission, the Task Force developed plans and created resources related to:
- Obtaining documentation providing reasonable clearance, with respect to COVID-19, of students, faculty, and staff on each campus.
- Health status, symptoms, and exposure reporting.
- Exposure notification with infected persons.
- Sentinel testing.
- Proper procurement and utilization of personal protective equipment.
- Appropriate training and education.
- Heightened cleaning and sanitation standards.
UA System health and safety efforts will include:
- Initial screening/testing for re-entry.
- Sentinel testing on a periodic basis to detect trends and outbreaks.
- Testing availability for those who need it.
Contact tracing by our campus Situational Response Team and their designees, to stop or slow the spread and notify individuals who may have been in close contact with someone who has a verified positive test, and
Isolation and quarantine procedures in accordance with the latest CDC and medical guidance, including the provision of spaces for on-campus residents who:
- Test positive.
- Are symptomatic, and/or.
- Who may have come into close contact with someone who tested positive.
The UA System efforts will also include the Stay Safe Together platform. This is still under development but is expected to include:
- A mandatory Healthcheck feature, which will allow users to assess their symptoms on a routine basis to protect themselves and those around them.
- A voluntary exposure notification application, which would alert those who have been in close contact with individuals who have a verified, positive test. This will be an opt-in feature, with anonymity provided.
- An event passport feature, to facilitate attendance at events after personal assessment via the Healthcheck.
Further information on the UA System Comprehensive Health and Safety Plan may be found at www.uasystem.edu.