June 30, 2021
Updated July 9, 2021
1. An acknowledgement that the institution signed and returned to the Department the Certification and Agreement and the assurance that the institution has used, or intends to use, no less than $10,361,269 of the funds received under Section 314(a)(1) of the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA, Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund II(HEERF II) to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
The University of Alabama acknowledges that it signed and returned the Certification and Agreement to receive funds under Section 314(a)(1) of the HEERF II to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students on February 19, 2021. The University further affirms that it will disburse to students the same amount in financial aid grants to students from the new CRRSAA funds that it was required to provide under its original Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) Student Aid Portion award who attest to eligibility related to the disruption of UA campus operations due to the coronavirus.
2. The total amount of funds that the institution will receive or has received from the Department pursuant to the institution’s Certification and Agreement [for] Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students.
The University of Alabama has or will receive a total of $31,436,739.00 of which $10,361,269.00 will be issued directly to students for Emergency Financial Aid Grants.
3. The total amount of Emergency Financial Aid Grants distributed to students under Section 314(a)(1) of HEERF II as of the date of submission (i.e., as of the 30-day Report and every 45 days thereafter).
The University of Alabama’s first reporting period includes distribution through March 31, 2021 and is being reported as of June 30, 2021. As of March 31st, The University of Alabama has distributed directly to students a total of $8,273,700.00.
The University of Alabama’s second and final reporting period includes distribution through May 2021 and is being reported as of July 10, 2021. As of May 11, 2021, The University of Alabama has distributed all HEERF II funds directly to students totaling $10,361,269.00. This completes the distribution of HEERF II funding.
4. The estimated total number of students at the institution eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students under Section 314(a)(1) of the CARES Act, HEERF II funding.
As of March 31, 2021, The University of Alabama had a total of 6,585 students that were eligible for Title IV funding and based on the methodology identified in Number 6 below, were therefore eligible for HEERF II funding.
As of May 11, 2021, The University of Alabama had a total of 7,991 students that were eligible for Title IV funding and based on the methodology identified in Number 6 below, were therefore eligible for HEERF II funding.
5. The total number of students who have received an Emergency Financial Aid Grant to students under Section 314(a)(1) of HEERF II.
As of March 31, 2021, a total of 5,201 students have responded and funds distributed accordingly.
As of May 11, 2021, a total of 6,880 students have responded and funds distributed accordingly.
6. The method(s) used by the institution to determine which students receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants and how much they would receive under Section 314(a)(1) of the CRRSAA.
Consistent with Department of Education (DOE) policy and guidance, HEERF II funds will be distributed based on a student’s eligibility for Title IV funding. The Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) calculated by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for 2020-2021 is used as the determining factor. The greatest allocation of funds will be disbursed to those students with the highest level of need using a tiered approach. Any student completing a FAFSA by June 30, 2021 will be considered until all funds are exhausted. The initial distribution within the first 30-day period considered students with an EFC from 00000 to 20000 using the following allocations:
|00000||Up to $1,700|
|00001-01000||Up to $1,600|
|01001-02000||Up to $1,500|
|02001-03000||Up to $1,450|
|03001-04000||Up to $1,400|
|04001-05000||Up to $1,300|
|05001-05711||Up to $1,200|
7. Any instructions, directions, or guidance provided by the institution to students concerning the Emergency Financial Aid Grants.
The University of Alabama created the following website to inform students of CARES Act and HEERF II Activity. This website outlines the eligibility criteria for the funds, the distribution method used to determine which students would receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants and how much they would receive, and Frequently Asked Questions.
Beginning on March 17, 2021 eligible students were notified by email from UA Student Financial Aid of the maximum allocation for their tier of EFC. They were required to legally attest to eligibility or decline receipt of funds. Once attested to by the student, the HEERF II funds were disbursed directly to the student by Student Account Services. Non-responders were reminded by email until all funds were distributed. Any student who accidentally selected an incorrect answer was reset upon request and allowed to select the correct answer.
Copies of these communications will be provided to the Secretary of the United States Department of Education upon request.