FOR THE MOST RECENT INFORMATION, VISIT THESE SOURCES:
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
- UA has had no suspected cases of coronavirus, and UA has not been notified of any member of the campus community with the virus.
- The UA System has extensive expertise and systems in place to monitor and address possible infectious diseases, and our University has comprehensive plans to address emergencies, including infectious disease. The University Medical Center and the Student Health Center and Pharmacy have procedures in place for contagious severe illnesses and are prepared.
- Two messages have been emailed to students sharing information about the coronavirus, symptoms to watch for, and what to do to avoid getting sick. As a result of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance and consistent with U.S. State Department recommendations, UA has suspended university-sponsored travel to China for students, faculty and staff due to ongoing concerns related to the coronavirus outbreak stemming from Wuhan, China.
- The risk for Alabamians remains relatively low at this time, and UA — along with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Alabama Department of Public Health — are closely monitoring the situation. This new coronavirus can cause mild illness that can be overcome, but more severe cases can be life-threatening.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
- Take general precautions like frequent hand washing to prevent the spread of any virus, including seasonal flu, which is still active across Alabama and the U.S.
- If you have not received a flu shot, it is not too late. For additional advice on flu facts and prevention, visit cdc.gov/flu.
- If you have flu-like symptoms, it is likely the common cold or a common strain of the flu. Symptoms of coronavirus include, but are not limited to, fever, running nose, headache, cough, and the general feeling of being unwell; these are also symptoms of the common flu virus.
- If you have concerning symptoms, call the Student Health Clinic prior to visiting at (205) 348-3854 or after hours at (205) 348-0386. If you are an employee and have concerning symptoms, please call the University Medical Center at (205) 348-4696 or (205) 348-1770 before visiting.
- January 29, 2020: UA suspends non-essential travel to China
- January 27, 2020: Campus Communications Regarding Coronavirus